A friend once told me to never get into a routine, because life is richer when it’s not beholden to time and habit. I disagree. I think that routines are essential to training habits of mind that allow me to think clearly and be healthier. Here are some routines I find beneficial that I thought I would write down. Feel free to comment with your own!
- Brush Teeth, shower, maintain general hygiene
- Eat food that is healthy for your body
- Watch a TED talk or some other short and informative video
- Read for pleasure
- Walk for 30 minutes
- Work towards your life’s purpose. If that means continuing to do the job you find fulfilling, go for it. If that means planning how to leave the job you don’t find fulfilling, do that too. If circumstances are such that you cannot leave the job you don’t find fulfilling, then find something fulfilling to do in your spare time.
- Compliment a friend and/or significant other
- Take a break
- Keep your dwelling clean and organized.
- Play a video game
- Play Magic the Gathering
- Eat something delicious (and not necessarily healthy for your body)
- Listen to some music
- Look through cool things you’ve found before (like YouTube favorites, essays you’ve read or written, or old stumbles from StumbleUpon)
- Read something about Physics or Mathematics